This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Having the Resilience to an Ever-Changing Business Environment Through Strategic Collaboration Supported by Digital Innovation
Purpose-This research aims to find out how a company can be resilient to an ever-changing business environment through the development of collaboration strategies and digital innovation to improve business performance and to find out which is more dominant in adapting to an ever-changing business environment to improve business performance, whether collaboration strategies or digital innovations? Research Design-This research uses a quantitative approach. Observations were made in a cross-section/one-shot, in 2022. The population of this research was the ISP industry in Indonesia, which amounted to 474 companies, and the unit of
observation was the top management. Samples were taken from as many as 240 respondents. Testing the causality hypothesis in this research used Structural Equation Modelling (SEM).Results -The results of this research indicate that the business environment has a significant indirect effect on business performance through collaboration and digital innovation strategies, while the direct influence of the business environment on business performance is not significant. The effect of mediating collaboration strategies on the relationship between the business environment and business performance is more dominant than the mediating effect of digital innovation. Conclusion -By developing and implementing digital collaboration strategies and digital innovation to adapt to an ever-changing business environment, making changes in the business environment does not have a direct effect on business performance, so companies will have the resilience to an ever-changing business environment the business environment, and because collaboration strategies have a more dominant influence than digital innovation, then companies should prioritize collaboration strategies that are supported and complemented by digital innovation.
- Ahmad Ch R, Khattak J, Khan MN, Khan NA. Pros & Cons of Macro Environment (PEST Factors) on New Product Development in Fast Food Industry of Pakistan for Sustainable Competitive Advantage. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business 2011; 3(2): 932–945.
- Soelton M, Noermijati N, Rohman F, Mugiono M. Conceptualizing the Role of Organizational Performance in Indonesia. Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business 2021; 8: 1151–1160. DOI: 10.13106/jafeb.2021.vol8.no6.1151.
- Uno SS, Supratikno H, Gracia SS, Ugut IB, Ferdi A, Yudistira H. The Effects of Entrepreneurial Values and Entrepreneurial Orientation, With Environmental Dynamism and Resource Availability As Moderating Variables, on the Financial Performance and Its Impacts on Firms’ Future Intention. Management Science Letters 2021; 11(5): 1537–1548. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2020.12.019
- Nylen D, Holmstrom J. Digital Innovation Strategy: a Framework for Diagnosing and Improving Digital Product and Service Innovation. Business Horizons 2015; 58: 57–67. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2014.09.001
- Barney J. Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage. Journal of Management 1991; 17(1): 99–120. DOI:10.1177/014920639101700108. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- Gado ND. The Impact of the Nigerian Bussiness Environment on Company Performance: a Case of 20 Most Capitalised Companies in Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Management Review 2015; 3(4): 36–48.
- Gavrila-Paven I, Muntean A-C. Valorizing Entrepreneurial Potential of the Central Region – Partnership Between University and Business Environment as Supporting Element of the Entrepreneurial Culture. Annales Universitatis Apulensis: Series Economica 2011; 13(2): 532–538. DOI: https://doi.org/10.29302/oeconomica.2011.13.2.34
- Eruemegbe GO. Impact of Business Environment on Organization Performance in Nigeria-A Research of Union Bank of Nigeria. European Scientific Journal 2015; 11(10): 478–494.
- Vo Van D. The Effects of Local Business Environments on Smes' Performance: Empirical Evidence from The Mekong Delta. Asian Academy of Management Journal 2015; 20: 101–122.
- Chiou TY, Chan HK, Lettice F, Chung SH. The Influence of Greening the Suppliers and Green Innovation on Environmental Performance and Competitive Advantage in Taiwan. Transportation Research 2011; 47(Part E): 822–836. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2011.05.016
- Adomako S, Danso A, Damoah JO. The Moderating Influence of Financial Literacy on the Relationship Between Access to Finance and Firm Growth in Ghana. Venture Capital 2015; 18(1): 43–61. DOI: 10.1080/13691066.2015.1079952. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13691066.2015.1079952
- Janković M, Mihajlović M, Cvetkovic T. Influence of External Factors on Business of Companies in Serbia. Ekonomika 2016; 62(4): 31–38. Doi:10.5937/ekonomika1604031J. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5937/ekonomika1604031J
- Tirole J. The Theory of Industrial Organization; The MIT Press: Cambridge, MA, USA, 1988.
- Wheelen TL, Hunger JD, Hoffman AN, Bamford CE. Strategic management and business policy: Globalization, Innovation, and Sustainability, 15th edition; Pearson Education Limited: London, UK, 2018.
- David FR. Strategic Management, Concepts & Cases; Pearson Education Limited: London, UK, 2013.
- Best RJ. Market-Based Management: Strategies for Growing Customer Value and Profitability, 6th Edition; Prentice Hall: Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2014.
- Tifow AA, Sayilir O. Capital Structure and Firm Performance: an Analysis of Manufacturing Firms in Turkey. Eurasian Journal of Business and Management 2015; 3: 13–22 DOI: 10.15604/ejbm.2015.03.04.002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15604/ejbm.2015.03.04.002
- Hahn W, Powers TL. Strategic Plan Quality, Implementation Capability, and Firm Performance. Academy of Strategic Management Journal 2013; 9(1): 63–81.
- Al-Tamimi H, Hassan A. Factors Influencing Performance of the UAE Islamic and Conventional National Banks. Global Journal of Business Research 2010; 4: 1–9.
- Yoo Y, Lyytinen K, Boland R, Berente N, Gaskin J, Schutz D, Srinivasan N. The Next Wave of Digital Innovation: Opportunities and Challenges, a Report of a Research Workshop on Digital Challenges in Innovation Research. Available online: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1622170 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1622170 (accessed on 2 April 2023). DOI: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1622170
- Schumpeter JA. The Theory of Economic Development. An Inquiry into Profits, Capital, Credit, Interest, and the Business Cycle; Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA, USA, 1934.
- Barratt M. Understanding the Meaning of Collaboration in the Supply Chain. Supply Chain Management: An international journal, 2004; 9(1): 30–42. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540410517566
- Gray B. Collaborating: Finding Common Ground for Multiparty Problems; Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, CA, 1989.
- Wood DJ, Gray B. Toward a Comprehensive Theory of Collaboration. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 1991; 27(2): 139–62. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0021886391272001
- Gray B. Assessing Inter-Organizational Collaboration: Multiple Conceptions and Multiple Methods; Oxford University Press: New York, NY, USA, 2000;
- Huxham C, Macdonald D. Introducing Collaborative Advantage: Achieving Inter-Organizational Effectiveness Through Meta-Strategy. Management Decision 1992; 30(3): 50. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/00251749210013104
- Gutiérrez R, Márquez P, Reficco E. Configuration and Development of Alliance Portfolios: A Comparison of Same-Sector and Cross-Sector Partnerships. J Bus Ethics 2016; 135: 55–69, DOI 10.1007/s10551-015-2729-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-015-2729-7
- Hoffmann WH. Strategies for Managing a Portfolio of Alliances. Strategic Management Journal 2007; 28: 827–856 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.607
- Jamal TB, Getz D. Collaboration Theory and Community Tourism Planning. Annals of Tourism Research 1995; 22(1): 186–204. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-7383(94)00067-3
- Krapez J, Groznik A, Škerlavaj M. Contextual Variables of Open Innovation Paradigm in the Business Environment of Slovenian Companies. Economic and Business Review for Central and South-Eastern Europe 2012; 14(1): 17–38. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15458/2335-4216.1202
- Cravens DW, Piercy NF. Strategic Marketing, 10th Edition; McGraw-Hill: New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- Björnfot A, Torjussen L, Erikshammar JJ. Horizontal Supply Chain Collaboration in Swedish and Norwegian Sme Networks. 19th Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction, Lima, Peru, 13–15 Jul 2011.
- Atalay M, Anafarta N, Sarvan F. The Relationship Between Innovation and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence from Turkish Automotive Supplier Industry. Procedia – Social Behavioral Science 2013; 75: 226–235. 2013 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.04.026
- Sami P, Rahnarad F, Tabar AA. The Effect of Political and Business Ties on Firm Performance. Management Research Review 2019; 42(7): 778–796. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-12-2017-0439
- Kafetzopoulos D, Psomas E, Skalkos D. Innovation Dimensions and Business Performance Under Environmental Uncertainty. European Journal of Innovation Management 2019; 23(5): 856–876 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/EJIM-07-2019-0197
- Sulistyo H, Siyamtinah. The Innovation Capability of SMEs Through Entrepreneurship, Marketing Capability, Relational Capital, and Empowerment. Asia Pacific Management Review 2016; 21: 196–233. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmrv.2016.02.002
- Jajja MSS, Kannan VR, Brah SA, Hassan SZ. Linkages Between form Innovation Strategy, Suppliers, Product Innovation, and Business Performance. International journal of operations & production management 2016; 37(8): 1054–1075. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-09-2014-0424
- Steiber A, Alange S. Corporate-Startup Collaboration: Effects on Large Firms’ Business Transformation. European Journal of Innovation Management 2019; 24(2): 235–257. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/EJIM-10-2019-0312
- Khin S, HO Theresa. Digital Technology, Digital Capability and Organizational Performance: a Mediating Role of Digital Innovation. International Journal of Innovation Science 2018; 11: 177–195. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJIS-08-2018-0083
- Huhtala J-P, Sihvonen A, Frosen J, Jaakkola M. Tikkanen H. Market Orientation, Innovation Capability, and Business Performance. Baltic Journal of Management 2013; 9(2): 134–152. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/BJM-03-2013-0044
- Ferdinand, A. 2014. Metode Penelitian Manajemen Pedoman Penelitian untuk Penulisan Skripsi Tesis dan Disertasi Ilmu Manajemen. Edisi 5, 2014, BP Undip, ISBN 979-704-254-5.
- Hair Joseph F, et al. Multivariate Data Analysis, (5th ed.); Pearson Prentice Hal: Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, USA, 2006.
- Walizer MH, Wienir PL. Research Methods and Analysis: Searching for Relationships; Harper & Row Publisher: New York City, NY, USA, 1978.
- Barker C, Pistrang N, Elliott R. Research Methods in Clinical Psychology: an Introduction for Students and Practitioners, Second Edition; John Wiley &Sons: New York City, NY, USA, 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/0470013435
- Sekaran U. Research Methods for Business: a Skill Building Approach. John Wiley & Sons: New York City, NY, USA, 2006.