This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Scaling Digital Innovation’s Generativity to Re-Invent Organisational Capabilities
As firms in the Schumpeterian environment of creative destruction seek to creatively edge out each other, frequent organisational capabilities’ re-invention tends to be a critical prerequisite for unlocking new capabilities to catalyse a business’ sustainability. Given the growing importance of self-disruption as an antecedent for organisational re-invention, this empirical research explores whether improved level of the optimisation of digital innovation’s generativity would leverage organisational capabilities’ re-invention to counter threats in the constantly changing Schumpeterian environment of creative destruction. Using a qualitative research method, the empirical research explored the opinions of twenty-five personnel that constituted of IT and electronics engineering personnel from five innovative IT and digitally abreast organisations in Glasgow-Scotland. The Delphi method that was accomplished in five sequential focus group discussions explored the impact of the emerging digital innovation technologies not only on new digital product or service innovations, but also on organisational capabilities’ re-invention. Although novel service and retail models as well as novel marketing approaches were found to emerge from the utilisation of different digital innovation technologies, major inhibitors of the optimisation of digital innovation’s generativity were still found to arise from deeply embedded analog business systems or the paradox of having to digitize and respond to the needs of the yet largely analog-skewed market. To address such a challenge, this study proposes a digital organisational capabilities’ re-invention model to agitate the need for most businesses to adopt digital business approaches as antecedents for leveraging the optimisation of digital innovation’s generativity. This will not only aid the creation of new products or services, but also re-invention of new capabilities to bolster a firm’s competitive edge. However, future research can still explore skills and competencies that are critical for digital innovation’s optimisation.
- Dougherty D, Dunne DD. Digital Science and Knowledge Boundaries in Complex Innovation. Organization Science 2012; 23(5): 1467–1484. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1110.0700
- Iansiti M, Lakhani KR. Digital Ubiquity: How Connections, Sensors, and Data Are Revolutionizing Business. Harvard Business Review 2014; 92(11): 91–99.
- Kock A, Gemunden HG. Antecedents to Decision-Making Quality and Agility in Innovation Portfolio Management. Journal of Product Innovation Management 2016; 33(6): 670–686. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12336
- Prescott ME. Big Data and Competitive Advantage at Nielsen. Management Decision 2014; 52(3): 573–601. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-09-2013-0437
- Grover V, Kohli R. Revealing Your Hand: Caveats in Implementing Digital Business Strategy. MIS Quarterly 2013; 37(2): 655–662.
- Teece DJ. Explicating Dynamic Capabilities: The Nature and Micro-Foundations of (Sustainable) Enterprise Performance. Strategic Management Journal 2007; 28(2): 1319–1350. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.640
- Yoo Y, Boland RJ, Lyytinen K, Majchrzak A. Organizing for Innovation in the Digitized World. Organization Science 2012; 23(5): 1398–1408. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1120.0771
- Bharadwaj A, Sawy OAE, Pavlou PA. Visions and Voices on Emerging Challenges in Digital Business Strategy. MIS Quarterly 2013; 37(2): 633–661. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2013/37.2.14
- Hui G. How the Internet of Things Changes Business Models; Harvard Business Review: Boston, MA, USA, 2014.
- Wirtz BW, O Schilke S. Ullrich. Strategic Development of Business Models: Implications of the Web 2.0 for Creating Value on the Internet. Long Range Planning 2010; 43(2): 272–90. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2010.01.005
- Nambisan S, Lyytinen K, Majchrzak A, Song M. Digital Innovation Management: Reinventing Innovation Management Research in A Digital World. MIS Quarterly 2017; 41(1): 223–238. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2017/41:1.03
- Svahn F, Mathiassen L, Lindgren R. Embracing Digital Innovation in Incumbent Firms: How Volvo Cars Managed Competing Concerns. MIS Quarterly 2017; 41(1): 239–253. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2017/41.1.12
- Lyytinen K, Yoo Y, Boland RJ. Digital Product Innovation Within Four Classes of Innovation Networks. Information Systems Journal 2016; 26(1): 47–75. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/isj.12093
- Lee J, Berente N. Digital Innovation and the Division of Innovative Labor: Digital Controls in the Automotive Industry. Organization Science 2012; 23(5): 1428–1447. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1110.0707
- Yoo Y, Henfridsson O, Lyytinen K. The New Organizing Logic of Digital Innovation: an Agenda for Information Systems Research. Information Systems Research 2010; 21(4): 724–735. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1100.0322
- Barrett M, Davidson E, Prabhu J, Vargo SL. Service Innovation in the Digital Age: Key Contributions and Future Directions. MIS Quarterly 2015; 39(1): 135–154. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2015/39:1.03
- Marion TJ, Meyer MH, Barczak G. The Influence of Digital Design and IT on Modular Product Architecture. Journal of Product Innovation Management 2015; 32(1): 98–110. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12240
- Bharadway N, Noble CH. Finding Innovation in Data Rich Environments. Journal of Product Innovation Management 2016; 34(5): 560–564. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/jpim.12407
- Simmons G, Palmer M, Yann T. Inscribing Value on Business Model Innovations: Insights from Industrial Projects Commercializing Disruptive Digital Innovations. Industrial Marketing Management 2013; 42(5): 744–754. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2013.05.010
- Porter ME, Heppelmann JE. How Smart, Connected Products Are Transforming Competition. Harvard Business Review 2014; 92(11): 64–88.
- Gagliardi D. Next Generation Entrepreneur: Innovation Strategy Through Web 2.0 Technologies in Smes. Technology Analysis & Strategic Management 2013; 25(8): 891–904. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09537325.2013.823151
- Mithas S, Tafti A, Mitchell W. How A Firm's Competitive Environment and Digital Strategic Posture Influence Digital Business Strategy. MIS Quarterly 2013; 37(2): 511–536. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2013/37.2.09
- Prescott ME. Big Data: Innovation and Competitive Advantage in an Information Media Analytics Company. Journal of Innovation Management 2016; 4(1): 92–113. DOI: https://doi.org/10.24840/2183-0606_004.001_0007
- Nylen D, Holmstrom J. Digital Innovation Strategy: A Framework for Diagnosing and Improving Digital Product and Service Innovation. Business Horizons 2015; 58(1): 57–67. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2014.09.001
- Bharadwaj A, El Sawy OA, Pavlou PA. Digital Business Strategy: Toward a Next Generation of Insights. MIS Quarterly 2013; 37(2): 471–482. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2013/37:2.3
- Piccoli G, Ives B. Review: IT-Dependent Strategic Initiatives and Sustained Competitive Advantage: a Review and Synthesis of the Literature. MIS Quarterly 2005; 29(4): 747–776. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/25148708
- Van Der Aalst W. Process Mining: Discovery, Conformance and Enhancement of Business Processes; Springer: Heidelberg, Germany, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-19345-3
- Helfat C, Finkelstein S, Mitchel W, Peteraf M, Singh H, Teece D, Winter S. Dynamic Capabilities: Understanding Strategic Change in Organizations; Blackwell Publishing: Malden, MA, USA, 2007.
- Prahalad CK, Hamel G. The Core Competence of the Corporation; Harvard Business Review: Boston, MA, USA,1990; 79–91.
- Peteraf MA. the Cornerstones of Competitive Advantage: A Resource-Based View. Strategic Management Journal 1993; 14: 179–191. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140303
- Piccoli G, Watson RT. Profit from Customer Data by Identifying Strategic Opportunities and Adopting the "Born Digital" Approach. MIS Quarterly Executive 2008; 7(3): 113–122.
- Barney JB. Organizational Culture: Can It Be a Source of Sustained Competitive Advantage?.Academy of Management Review 1986; 11(3): 656–665. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1986.4306261
- O’Reilly CA III, Tushman M. Ambidexterity as a Dynamic Capability: Resolving the Innovator’S Dilemma. Research in Organizational Behavior 2008; 28: 185–206. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riob.2008.06.002
- Eaterby-Smith M, Prieto I. Dynamic Capabilities and Knowledge Management: An Interactive Role for Learning. British Journal of Management 2008; 19(2): 235–549. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8551.2007.00543.x
- Dosi G, Nelson R, Winter S. The Nature and Dynamics of Organizational Capabilities; Oxford University Press: New York, NY, USA, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/0199248540.001.0001
- Pavlou P, El Sawy O. From IT Leveraging Competence to Competitive Advantage in Turbulent Environments: The Case of New Product Development. Information Systems Research 2006; 17(3): 198–227. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1060.0094
- Taxal. Digital Innovation Value: The Whole Being Greater Than the Sum of the Parts; Taxal Consulting: London, UK, 2018.
- Avella JR. Delphi Panels: Research Design, Procedures, Advantages, and Challenges. International Journal of Doctoral Studies 2016; 11: 305–321. DOI: https://doi.org/10.28945/3561
- Christensen L, Johnson R, Turner L. Research Methods, Design and Analysis; Pearson Education: Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2013.
- Vernon W. A Delphi Technique: a Review. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation 2009; 16(2): 69–76. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12968/ijtr.2009.16.2.38892
- Sekayi D, Kennedy A. Qualitative Delphi Method: a Four Round Process with a Worked Example. The Qualitative Report 2017; 22(10): 2755–2763. DOI: https://doi.org/10.46743/2160-3715/2017.2974
- Creswell J. Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches; Sage Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2014.
- Nambisan S. Digital Entrepreneurship: Toward a Digital Technology Perspective of Entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 2017; 41(6): 1029–1055. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/etap.12254
- Lee C, Ho JC. A Framework for Analyzing Business Model Innovation in Mobile Commerce. Journal of International Technology and Information Management 2010; 19(4): 37–II. DOI: https://doi.org/10.58729/1941-6679.1092
- Kalyanam K, Lal R, Wolfram G. “Future Store Technologies and Their Impact on Grocery Retailing” in Retailing in the 21st Century: Current and Future Trends; Springer: New York, NJ, USA, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-72003-4_9
- Funding: N/A